Saturday, January 5, 2008

You say "Yiaourti," I say "Greek Yogurt!"

I'll be heading out of town tomorrow and I can't leave you without a post for so many days! I was thinking, "what could I share?" When it hit me like a BOLT of lightning from Zeus on Mount Olympus! Greek Yogurt of course!

Oh my goodness, that stuff is out of this world! Definitely the food of the gods! It's so thick and creamy, you'll think you're eating triple churned ice cream. In Greece, it's made mostly from sheep or goat's milk, or a combination of both! My husband and I ordered it one day on our trip last summer and fell in love with it! I'm sure we probably fell too much in love with it because we ordered it a few more times in Santorini, knowing all too well that we were eating a billion calories, but hey, we were on vacation and at that moment, we didn't exactly care!

I recently saw a commercial version called Fage (www.fageusa.com) at our local supermarket (Publix)and I just had to buy it! It was okay, nothing like the one sold in Greece, but I guess if I'm ever craving it and can't get the next flight to Greece, it will make due. We enjoyed it with Greek honey and walnuts and I usually don't like walnuts, but the combination of those three ingredients were so tasty!

Before:

After:



To be honest, I don't know if I'll try to make Greek yogurt, I rather eat it in Greece! Ha, who wouldn't? Here's a fairly easy recipe I found, enjoy!

Greek Yogurt Recipe

No comments: