Saturday, January 19, 2008

Healthy Stuffed Portabella Mushrooms


In my weekly endeavour of trying to whip up fast and healthy meals, I came up with this little recipe. We had it with a nice side salad and were more than satisfied. This tasted even better the next day! Some of the tastiest leftovers I've ever had!

I started off by making some turkey "picadillo" on Sunday when I had some extra time.

Picadillo is a dish mainly consisting of ground beef
(sometimes shredded beef or chicken) typically found in Cuba,
Mexico, and other Latin American countries, and in the
Philippines. In Mexico it is sometimes used as a filling,
such as for tacos, and can be mixed with vegetables.
The name comes from the Spanish word, "picar" which
means "to chop". (Wikipedia)


There are many "picadillo" recipes online, I didn't use one, I just eyeballed all of my ingredients.
  • 2 pounds ground turkey

  • 1 cup chopped onion

  • 2 tsp minced garlic

  • 1 can (14 oz) chopped tomatoes

  • 1 TBS tomato paste

  • salt & pepper to taste


  • I sauteed the onions, added the garlic, and then the ground turkey. Cooked till meat was no longer pink, and I added the chopped tomatoes, the tomato paste, and the salt and pepper to taste. I cooked a little longer and then place the picadillo in a container in the fridge to use later on in the week.

    Healthy Stuffed Portabella Mushrooms

    1. Clean six large portabella mushrooms with a damp paper towel and removed the stem. Place them, what would be "stem side" up on a glass dish sprayed with non-stick cooking spray.

    2.Add a generous amount of previously made turkey picadillo onto each portabella and then add about 2 TBS of a quick chunky tomato marinara sauce. Basically a 14oz can of chopped tomatoes heated with 1/2 a can of tomato soup, with a few dashes of Italian seasoning, super simple! Then added some cheese onto each portabella, I had a little bit of shredded mozarella which I distributed evenly and then added a slice of Swiss cheese to each portabella as well. I know Swiss cheese isn't the norm, but it's what I had on hand and I think it made it all the better. A nice little twist!

    3. Place the dish uncovered into a preheated 350 degree oven for about 20 minutes till hot and bubbly. Then turned on the broiler and broiled the portabellas for a few minutes to brown them nicely. Let them cool for a few minutes before digging in!


    Let me tell you, it took about 30 minutes start to finish and during the week when we're so busy, this little dish was a fabulous time saver. As I said before, the leftovers were even better! While the portabella's were in the oven, I got the salad ready and set the table. Now, if only we had a maid and butler to pick up the table, do the dishes, and clean up the kitchen, I'd be set :)

    No comments: