Friday, October 10, 2008

Easy & Quick Calzones!

I made these ages ago and totally forgot to blog about them! I got the recipe from one of the many blogs I frequent, Sweet Savory Southern. I was in the mood to make something yummy and different and these calzones hit the spot! The original recipe was from Cooking Light and Sweet Savory Southern adapted it to her liking. Well, my calzones were an adaptation of an adaptation! LOL!

Here's Sweet Savory Southern adaptation of the recipe with my alterations in parenthesis. We loved them, it was so quick and tasty! This would be a "fun" meal to make with kids :) Hope you enjoy!


Ham, Spinach, and Sun-Dried Tomato Calzones

3/4 cup ricotta cheese (I used skim ricotta)
3/4 cup shredded mozzarella cheese
1 1/2 cups baby spinach
1/2 tsp Italian seasoning
2 cloves garlic, minced
3 oz sliced ham (I used fat free ham)
6 sun-dried tomatoes (I used 1/4 cup oil packed sun-dried tomatoes, drained the oil)
salt and pepper
1 can refrigerated pizza dough
2 Tbsp olive oil
Cooking spray

Preheat oven as directed on pizza dough. Heat olive oil in a skillet and add the garlic. Cook for a minute and then add the spinach. Season with a little salt and pepper. Cook until spinach is wilted down and remove from heat. In a bowl combine ricotta, mozzarella, Italian seasoning, ham, sun-dried tomatoes, and cooked spinach and garlic. Divide the pizza dough in half and stretch each half into a circle. Spoon half of the mixture onto half of each circle and fold the other side over, pinching edges to seal. Spray a baking sheet with cooking spray and place calzones on the sheet. Brush the top of the dough with olive oil. Bake as directed on the pizza dough. Serve with marinara for dipping.

No comments: